We are grateful to host Alexandra “Ahlay” Blakely who is coming to us all the way from Seattle on her midwest tour, Ahlay teaches easy-to-learn songs in an a cappella style and the group echoes them back. These songs are sung together collectively as invitations to move stagnated emotions in the body and to be in our bodies as we notice what arises for us as we sing together.
This workshop takes place in the beautiful outdoor gazebo at the Center for Belonging Folk School just north of Decorah, IA.
Tickets: Sliding scale $22-$66. If you prefer to bypass ticketing fees you can paypal here. Please write ‘Ahlay Song Circle’ and share your e-mail. No one turned away for lack of funds.
- 6:00-6:30 pm Arrival: get settled in and connect
- 6:25 pm Gates close and we open the circle.
- 6:30-8:30pm Song Circle led by Alexandra “Ahlay” Blakely
Address:1591 Manawa Trail Rd, Decorah Iowa 52101
Parking: in the driveway and on the road.
Directions on arrival: We’ll be there to greet you and show you the way!
- Depending on where you park, there’s a 3-5 minute walk on natural earth including a slight downhill slope for about 15 yards. It is also possible to drive right to the site; if you are planning to do this please let us know in advance so we can show you the way.
- We will be in the woods, under the roof of the gazebo, rain or shine.
- Outhouse nearby.
Kids: Your children are welcome as long as they’re not disrupting the circle – so yes to playing on the periphery or participating in the singing. Please be mindful of this.
About the Songleader
Ahlay (she/her) is a song carrier remembering that which was meant to be forgotten in her lineages: song technology as connective tissues of the communal body. She blends song, body percussion, dance, stillness, breath & silence with the intention to support others in remembering their inherent birthright to song which she believes is fundamental in the expansion of one’s internal capacity to participate in the collective shift towards life-affirming conditions. Website. Wails Summer gathering.
Some of her mentors: Whale, Mycelium, Rue, Lightning, Rain, Oak, Redwood & Rosemary
Learn more about Ahlay at her website here